SQLite and multiuser

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 30 14:04:18 EST 2007

On 30/1/07 8:44 PM, "Joel Guillod" <joel.guillod at net2000.ch> wrote:

Hi Joel,

> The SQLite documentation under topic «File Locking And Concurrency»
> states: «SQLite uses POSIX advisory locks to implement locking on
> Unix. On windows it uses the LockFile(), LockFileEx(), and UnlockFile
> () system calls. SQLite assumes that these system calls all work as
> advertised. If that is not the case, then database corruption can
> result. One should note that POSIX advisory locking is known to be
> buggy or even unimplemented on many NFS implementations (including
> recent versions of Mac OS X) and that there are reports of locking
> problems for network filesystems under windows. Your best defense is
> to not use SQLite for files on a network filesystem.»

1)

> The last sentence clearly demonstrates that SQLite files should not
> be used on a network.

2)

> So, I would be pleased to have advices on how
> to access SQLite database throught network in a multiuser environment.

See above (1)   :-)

> There is one relatively easy implementation scenario I think about:
> to write a Rev application which works as a SQLite server and to
> which any client Rev application connects to in order to query the
> databases. In such a way only the server is dealing with database
> files and this probably works okay for small network traffic.

I.e. You want invent a bike? :-)
and develop ala-Oracle / ala-mySQL / ala-Valentina Server ?

Yes with some N developer/months/years its possible I think. Also solve
issues when you need send/get few queries to do logical step...interesting
how this is possible using db level locks ... And a lots of other issues.

> Any other suggestion for a solution would be welcome.

Use existed bikes? :-)

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin