Re-2: write to and read from a hardware address directly, possible?

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Mon Jan 29 13:47:21 EST 2007

I might add that unless one is intimately knowledgeable about the
hardware or it was self-made, that one should avoid touching anything
in the memory map directly, 'behind the back' of your OS, so to
speak., unless the makers of the I/O card have made a certain memory
space available.

These addresses, still, are not 'fixed' but must be calculated
carefully. Computers these days don't like us poking around without
'management'. Major damage could result.

This is probably why there is no PEEK and especially POKE commands
are available in REV! We'd all blow up our computers.

I'd add another plug for using serial based data acquisition:

expand ability
isolation from host
long wire lengths
use any software, even a dumb terminal, to test in early stages.

if one uses good wire, one can get pretty high speeds. There are even
ways to send 'serial' data over a Ethernet network to a remote box
which has several serial ports.

If I've underestimated your knowledge or your applications, I apologize.

sqb

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o