Infinity Char on Windows

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Jan 28 23:26:31 EST 2007

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:14:45 -0700, Mark Greenberg wrote:

> I am trying to port my math stacks from Mac to Windows.  Some of the
> stacks use the infinity character (like a sideways 8), but in Windows
> it displays as a box instead.  Does anyone know how I might make that
> display properly in Windows?  If the solution involves Unicode, be
> explicit because I've never tried to make Unicode work for me in Rev.

Well, first of all, I'm a bit surprised you get a box on Windows
instead of a degree symbol. You see the infinity symbol on Macs is
ASCII 176, which in Windows is the degree symbol. Unfortunately, Most
Windows fonts do not include the infinity symbol in their high-ASCII
(ID 128-256) character sets.

Personally, I'd suggest replacing your Mac-only infinity symbols with
the symbol from the Symbol font (ASCII 165), which is cross-platform so
you won't have to do anything special for Windows.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/