A wondeful tool: A little cumpliment on MagicCarpet

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Jan 25 12:54:09 EST 2007

Hi folks,

as many people in here know, I've lost my HD with all my tools and
stacks. During the last weeks, most of my work was trying to make my
old G4 iBook into a development machine since I had erased it and
allowed my mom to use it as a desktop.

I remember when I first saw Altuits MagicCarpet program, it was
during RMS in Monterey, I was amazed. Finally a version control
system that was sane! I always hated CVS and I am not into
subversion. I became a heavy user of MagicCarpet when I started
working with the fine monks of Kauai Aadheenam. All our work is
inside MagicCarpet, lots of projects and files. And we never lost a
file even when doing rollbacks and stuff. Sometime ago, I migrated
most of my code to my own MagicCarpet repository on my server
somewhere in Texas, I moved things there as a backup and also so I
could work away from my computer, for example, using an U3 thumbdrive
at the university.

My machine is still at apple, now waiting replacement cdrom drive
before they try to see if the HD is recoverable or not (I won't allow
them to replace that HD) but most of my work is safe. I was just a
matter of reinstalling Rev in the G4, copying my plugins and settings
from the thumbdrive and launching magiccarpet... couple hours later,
all my current source was back in here...

The point is, If it was not MagicCarpet, then I would not be doing
backups of my stuff in remote servers. MagicCarpet has it all:
* it works accross networks, volumes, FTP, HTTP.
* It has a simple interface with simple useful options, very easy to
learn.
* It works from inside Revolution IDE, no tedious task of using an
external program. Your topstack is a button away from remote backup.

Chipp, Chris and Altuit have given us so many wonderful tools during
the last years, I make daily use of many of them, altBrowser,
altSQLite3, MagicCarpet, altSplash.

This is just a simple thank you message from a very pleased user and
also a notice for readers here that don't know about MagicCarpet to
take a look into it. It's a very nice tool and can save lots of
screams and cries on your side. It also is very pleasant to work in
teams.

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/MagicCarpetCover/default.htm

Cheers
andre