OT: Simple Computer Simulator, Anyone??

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Thu Jan 25 01:19:10 EST 2007

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good, *simple* computer simulator that could be used
to help demystify computers to someone who's never taken a computer
course?

I already did the requisite "computer simulator" google search.  I found
examples of Java simulators that are not comprehensible to normal humans
(e.g., non-programmers).

I did likewise for "how do computers work"; I found pages that listed "the
main components of a typical desktop computer" as the following:

_Central processing unit (CPU)_ The microprocessor 'brain' of the computer
is called the cpu.  Everything that a computer does is overseen by the
cpu.

_Memory_ - This is very fast storage used to hold data.  It has to be fast
because it connects directly to the mikcroprocessor..."

Okay -- this is like telling them that their computer works and is
composed of such units as...:

"_The Hocus-Pocus Unit (HPU)_: This is where electronic signals are
magically converted into your term paper.

_The Abracadabra Box (AbcB)_: This is the magic storage place where all
the incantations are temporarily stored until required for use by the
Hocus-Pocus Unit. ...  and, of course, this box contains such sub-boxes as
the Random-Access Abracadabra, the Read-only Abracadabra, the BIOS
Abracadabra, and the Cache Abracadabra.  There is also the Virtual
Abracadabra," which only serves to further confuse them as to the
difference between RAM and long-term storage.

Has anyone seen or created something that could help demystify how a
computer works for non-geeks and that is intended to be digested in 15
minutes or less?

Asking alot, I know.  But I seek it for 3rd year university students
taking a general education course entitled "The Computer Impact on
Society", which course is likely to  be the *only* computer class they
will take.

Kindest thanks for any suggestions...

Judy