Is this a bug?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Jan 20 09:57:21 EST 2007

Well then,

At least it's a bug in the documentation, where it clearly states:

"Returns true if the specified object exists, false if it does not."

I, personally think it is a bug. If the goal is to force uniqueness and
'avoid time wasting confusion', then why even allow controls or objects with
the same name? I certainly understand if you have two fields with the same
name, and you reference the second one and you 'get' the first one. But to
say a control does not exist seems wrong, especially when 'object
instancing' is not allowed.

It's not a big deal, I, too use the id property to get around it. I can
certainly see the potential for a lot of confusion and broken scripts,
especially since the documentation also states:

"Description
Use the exists function to make sure an object exists before you try to
perform an action on it, or to determine whether to create an object."