calling a remote function..

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sat Jan 20 09:51:41 EST 2007

Chipp I have been using "send" and command and function calls for several
years now - like Andre I do not use "functions" but send "commands" - even
better in my opinion is to use getprop and setprop handlers - in your case
that would look like this:

 put "1,000" into line 1 of marshalledData
 put "Soldiers" into line 1 of marshalledData
 -- get value("foo(param1,param2)",btn "bar")
 get the foo [marshalledData] of btn "bar"

Where instead of a function the btn contains:

getprop foo [marshalledData]
  put line 1 of marshalledData into param1
  put line 1 of marshalledData into param2
  return param1 &cr& param2
end foo

Now what would be great would be if you could use arrays to marshall the
data, but unfortunately arrays cannot be passed as params

on mouseUp pMouseBtnNum
    put "1,000" into dataArray["num"]
    put "soldiers" into dataArray["name"]
     put the foo [dataArray] of btn "bar"
    pass mouseUp
end mouseUp

getprop foo [dataArray]
    put dataArray["num"] into param1
    put dataArray["name"] into param2
    return param1 &cr& param2
end foo

This would ore than overcome the limitation of 1 param + rev control passed
to the called object (2 param2 + rev control for setprops).