Common writable folders

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 13:28:14 EST 2007

Hi Jacque,

Couple questions. Have you tried running the command from Terminal?
If so, does it work okay there? Also, have you tried running it from
the AppleScript script editor? If it fails there, you might get a
more descriptive error message.

One thing that I'm doing different is instead of putting the entire
command into a variable, I'm only putting in the actual shell script
part. So my code would read something like:

do "do shell script" && quote & tCmd & quote && "with administrator
privileges"

I don't know if that makes a difference or not. It shouldn't, but it
is working for me just fine. Granted, I am only changing permissions
on a single file, not on a folder.

Just a couple ideas. Sorry I can't really provide more concrete help.

Chris

On Jan 18, 2007, at 11:13 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> sims wrote:
>> At 8:48 PM -0800 1/17/07, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>> You mean Apple provides no way for any scripting language to
>>> request authorization on its own? Not even AppleScript?
>> For the dialog use AppleScript:
>> do shell script "command" with administrator privileges
>> To pass other items use:
>> do shell script "command" user name "me" password "mypassword"
>> with administrator privileges
>
> I'm having trouble with this. I do get the official Apple password
> dialog, but can't execute a command.
>
> I want to change permissions on a folder. This script fails with
> "execution error":
>
> put "chmod 777 /Library/Application Support/myfolder/" into tShellCmd
>   put "do shell script" &&quote& tShellCmd &quote&& "with
> administrator privileges" into tCmd
>   do tCmd as applescript
>   put the result
>
> So I figured I needed to escape the space. When I do that, this
> script fails with "compiler error":
>
> put "chmod 777 /Library/Application\ Support/myfolder/" into tShellCmd
>   put "do shell script" &&quote& tShellCmd &quote&& "with
> administrator privileges" into tCmd
>   do tCmd as applescript
>   put the result
>
> If I substitute colons instead of slashes I go back to "execution
> error". Adding "sudo" to the front of the command doesn't help (but
> I'm running as admin right now, so maybe that's why.)
>
> What's the right command to allow any user, admin or not, to type
> in an admin password and set the permissions on this folder? Am I
> using this feature correctly?
>
> --

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally