Common writable folders

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 12:06:28 EST 2007

I've got another question about using this. Hope you don't mind.

Is there anyway to suppress the dialog if it has already displayed
once in a session? I realize there's a timeout thing with sudo that
eventually expires (my Unix knowledge is limited), and at that point
a new dialog would have to appear anyway.

But here's my situation. I have a Rev script that performs a few
different tasks in one swipe, some of which require admin privileges
on the system. They involve changing a certain file's permissions,
editing the file, then changing the permissions back. But it seems
that every time the command changes, even if it's simply "chmod 750"
to "chmod 755", a dialog comes up again. So I'm ending up with 2 or 3
dialogs right in a row. Any way to keep this from happening? Is there
some way to extract the user name and password and then pass those
like in your second example? That's probably not a very kosher thing
to do, though.

Thanks,
Chris

On Jan 17, 2007, at 11:26 PM, sims wrote:

> At 8:48 PM -0800 1/17/07, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> You mean Apple provides no way for any scripting language to
>> request authorization on its own? Not even AppleScript?
>

> For the dialog use AppleScript:
> do shell script "command" with administrator privileges
>
> To pass other items use:
> do shell script "command" user name "me" password "mypassword" with
> administrator privileges
>

> sims

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally