Common writable folders

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 17 15:23:05 EST 2007

Ken Ray wrote:
>>> But now I wonder:  Is there a way to do this from within a custom
>>> Rev-based installer?   How does one trigger the OS X
>>> authentication dialog?
>>
>> Well, that's the deal. I couldn't find a way to do that without
>> using Apple's installer. Most users wouldn't trust a home-made
>> dialog that asks for their admin password; they want to see the
>> "official" one. Ergo, package installer time.
>
> One thing you can do (and I have done this before) is to make a mock
> duplicate of the authentication dialog and use shell() to do the
> stuff that requires authentication.

With all due respect, eeewwww!

:)

The last thing I want to do is start a trend of third-party apps mocking
up the OS authentication dialog.  I imagine that exploit will start
happening sooner or later if it hasn't already, but I don't want
anything with my name on it associated with such schemes.

What I'm hoping to find instead is an option for chmod which will bring
up the OS authentication dialog.  I'll check the chmod's man for that
and report back what I find.

Jacque, I hear what you're saying about "standard" installers, but I
build so frequently that it's a real time sink doing that for both
platforms several times a week, relative to my one-click option for
building the standalone and creating the installer all in one automated
move.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation