Common writable folders

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Jan 17 10:53:43 EST 2007

Richard Gaskin wrote:

 >I have an app which will be for Mac and Win, and maybe Linux down the
road, in which I need to store some data in a folder which needs to be
writable by all users. Both Mac and Win provide common folders for
reading data: Mac /HD/System Folder/Application Support Win C:/Documents
and Settings/All Users/Application Data ...but in my testing here only
users with admin privileges can write to those folders. :( What is the
OS-recommended place to store common data which can be written by any user?

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a Linux pendrive solution as
outlined in my "Rev's Portability" thread! That is exactly the kind of
problem I was trying to outline. It's an example of what I meant by
"heavy" use of the file system described in the original post. Of
course, it all depends on whether your app really needs to be run on the
HD or not. If not, then no problem. If so, then I can't help very much,
since "cross platform" apps at this level tend to become either highly
complex or unviable.

Regards,
Bob