StartUp message

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 17 09:42:08 EST 2007

Mark Schonewille wrote:
> The startUp message is different. The docs contain the following
> description of the startUp message:
>
> "Sent to the first stack opened when the application starts up."
>
> So, this appears to be exactly true: the message is sent to the stack
> and not to the card. This causes some confusion and it is
> inconvenient for me, because usually my preOpenstack and startUp
> handlers are connected and I would like to look at them in the same
> script editor. Moreover, HyperCard does send the startUp message to
> the card rather than the stack.

Fortunately it appears this isn't an error in the engine, just in the docs.

I just made a standalone with this handler in both the card and stack
scripts:

   on startup
     answer the params &cr& the name of the target
   end startup

When I run the standalone the Answer box contains:

   startup
   card id 1002

So as far as I can tell, the Rev engine is consistent in this regard
with HyperCard and other xTalks.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation