StartUp message

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Wed Jan 17 08:14:59 EST 2007

Dear everyone,

Whenever I want a script to run only once on preOpenStack, openStack,
openCard, preOpenCard, openBackground, preOpenBackground etc., I put
this script into the card script of the first card of the main stack
of my project. All these messages are sent to the card, rather than
the stack. Of course, if the card doesn't handle the message, it is
passed to higher levels in the message hierarchy.

The startUp message is different. The docs contain the following
description of the startUp message:

"Sent to the first stack opened when the application starts up."

So, this appears to be exactly true: the message is sent to the stack
and not to the card. This causes some confusion and it is
inconvenient for me, because usually my preOpenstack and startUp
handlers are connected and I would like to look at them in the same
script editor. Moreover, HyperCard does send the startUp message to
the card rather than the stack.

I would like to know your opinion about this. Please, write me on- or
off-list (m.schonewille at conomy-x-talk.com). If I get positive
feedback, I'll create a feature request for which you can vote.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk