OT: lost everything, macbook and its HD broken.

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Tue Jan 16 12:22:45 EST 2007

Andre,
The fact that the computer will not boot from other drives is a good thing.
It indicates that the problem is probably on the board not the HD.
I trust you've tried removing the HD from the problem computer to see if it
works in another.
If it IS the HD, then the less tinkering the better. One of my customers had
massive problems with one of his HDs (he reformatted it!) and a company called
Drive Savers managed to save almost everything on it.
On OLD drives the freezer trick "sometimes" works. You wrap up the drive so
there is no moisture. Put it in the freezer. When chilled, you bring it out and
hit it on the side with a rubber hammer. This solves a "stiction" problem
where the drives are overparked or stuck to the disk - as I said, usually a
problem with older drives. Obviously a last resort, all else failed, drive is
considered lost anyway, situation.
For future reference:
Your data is too valuable to trust to a single computer. I've found
SuperDuper (free trial) and an inexpensive Firewire HD to be priceless. You probably
have more data than I do so it may take longer but, in my case, I can completely
backup about 30 Gig in 50 minutes with a 2 1/2" Firewire 400 drive - other
drives might be twice as fast.
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear of you misfortune and wish you the best. Please
keep all of us informed. We are rooting for you!
Paul Looney