Working with Microsoft Exchange Server

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 23:00:12 EST 2007

Hi All,

I have just been warned of an approaching problem and I wonder if
anyone has any advice. I run numerous Mac-based kiosk systems which
communicate back to base using email. I wrote a stripped-down email
client in Rev that does POP & SMTP. It ignores any HTML emails,
attachments or any emails that do not match the standard structure,
but deals with the others in a way that the main kiosk program can
then handle.

This works really well but I've just been informed that at one site,
they are closing down their POP servers and switching to Microsoft
Exchange Server with both POP & IMAP turned off. They won't  let me
access an external POP server, so I need to find a way to access their
Exchange server while still keeping programmatic control of the
emails.

So far (although I've only just started looking), I can't find any
published protocol which I could use to adapt my existing client. At
the moment I'm looking at buying Entourage and seeing if I can
Applescript it enough to make it work, but that's a very bad solution
- expensive and less secure.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'd love to hear them....

Cheers,
Sarah