Standalone Question

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Mon Jan 8 13:47:18 EST 2007

Hey, Charles,

The mac platform conveniently packages applications into a special
folder, which looks to the user in the finder like a double-clickable
application (with the extension .app), but actually can contain all
files and folders pertaining to the project, including all stacks,
drivers, help files, etc.

control-click on a mac standalone package in the finder, and you will
see a popup menu. Choose "Show Package Contents" and you can drill
further into it. All the rev stuff is in the 'Mac OS' directory.

Working with Rev on a Mac is a dream. I can be in the IDE editing
'inside' the standalone, save and at any time launch the same code as
a standalone, close, then go back to the IDE. And it all ends up in a
perfect, icon'd package.

The standalone package itself never has to be recreated unless
there's a change in the launch process, and all the rev 'stuff' is
there. All the stacks for your project are inside, in the hierarchy
you designed.

You never have any path or inclusion problems that might happen in
standalone building because your not building one, and the paths in
the standalone and when editing are one and the same.

The biggest 'gotcha' that I can attach to this method is that DATE
BASED BACKUPS  will NOT WORK with stacks saved inside a package like
this. I know the Finder and my backup program (Folderssynchronizer)
still thinks my app was last changed on July 6, 2006, when actually
stacks are changed often.

After discovering this, I used internal Rev calls inside the app to
compress itself and send a copy to a ftp server offsite.

  I also wrote a short one to compress each stack in the hierarchy to
an individual component of a multi file document using RevZip. ( I
love the addition of this to the feature set. )

I would expect Rev on PC would pack everything in the build into a
non-editable .exe file and using my method that worked on the Mac
above would require an external folder with the editable stacks
inside. I think I got that right, but even though I have an
Enterprise license, I haven't spent much time on the PC side. My pet
PC broke a while ago...so please - a PC Rev person chime in here..

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o