playing and recording at the same time

Claire Bradin Siskin cbsiskin at pitt.edu
Sun Jan 7 11:14:03 EST 2007

We are working on a research project in Rev in which students hear a
prompt and immediately repeat what they hear. (The process is similar
to simultaneous translation in which the translator speaks while the
speaker continues to speak.) Playing the sound and recording must
happen at the same time.  We want to record the prompt and the
student's response all in one file.

We have have been able to record these in one file with a poor
quality version of the prompt (coming from an external speaker) and a
good quality response using an external microphone. We are surmising
that the prompt is being picked up by the mic which accounts for the
poor quality. For the project we will have to use headsets (mic and
headphone combined) which would prevent the prompt from being picked
up by the microphone, so we need a better solution.

Can we set the recording to stereo and use one track for the internal
sound and the other for the microphone input? Or can anyone suggest
another method to accomplish this task?

Thanks, Claire
--
Claire Bradin Siskin