Variable holding a chunk

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Sat Jan 6 13:49:39 EST 2007

I personally always "live" in the dictionary. It has a field at the top
which filters stuff out for you as you type. For this specific function, I
would probably type in "evaluate" because I want Rev to "evaluate" the chunk
expression rather than to use it as a literal string. This gives you the
merge() function, which isn't what you're looking for, but the value
function is mentioned under the "See Also:" heading.

Incidentally, the merge() function works like mail merge in a word
processor, but with expressions.

So,

put merge("line 2 of fld 1") gives you:
line 2 of fld 1

but
put merge("[[line 2 of fld 1]]") gives you:
Bob

eventually, I just learned that "the value of" was what I wanted and haven't
had to remember any tricks.

I am not sure why "evaluate" doesn't also return the value function; it
probably should.

"Jim Carwardine"
<JimCarwardine at OwnYourFuture-net.com> wrote in
message news:C1C4ABBA.9310%JimCarwardine at OwnYourFuture-net.com...