Determining SSL Authenticity - Part III

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 12:42:03 EST 2007

On 3 Jan 2007, at 17:25, Dave Cragg wrote:

> I always forget that part. :-)
>
> Once upon a time, there was a ".pem" file that was distributed with
> Rev (perhaps only distributed in an alpha/beta version when secure
> sockets were first introduced). Setting the sslcertificates
> property to this file would allow Rev to handle the certificate
> authentication. I can't find that file on the machine I'm at at the
> moment, but I seem to remember it no longer worked when I last
> tried it. But you may be able to find a suitable file somewhere
> that can be used. Perhaps someone else can help.

If you're on OS X, you might try this. But be warned! I don't really
know what I'm doing. :-)

I opened Apple's Keychain app and selected the X509Anchors item. This
will list a large number of what I think are Certificate Authority
root certificates. I selected all, and from the File menu selected
Export.... I chose the Privacy Enhanced Mail (.pem) option and saved
the file as "root.pem". In Rev, I set the sslcertificates property to
this file. I then tried three https URLs and they all worked.
(Clearly a sign of a good year ahead.)

My concern is that I selected all the certificates listed in
Keychain. I'm not sure if that was wise. Does anyone know?

Cheers
Dave