Determining SSL Authenticity - Part III

Derek Bump list at dreamscapesoftware.com
Wed Jan 3 11:50:32 EST 2007

Thank you Andre, Luis and Dave for your incite, references and
suggestions.  It looks like I'll be spending the next few days parsing
certificates.  Something did just occur to me after reading a little...
  (if I'm wrong in my assumptions then please correct me)

   1. Internet Explorer comes preloaded with Certificates.

   2. Runtime Revolution does not come preloaded with Certificates.

On this basis, if I utilize the following command...

   open secure socket to "whatever.com" with message "openedOK"

... Revolution will return back some sort of error because Revolution
cannot access the Certificates that are pre-installed with Internet
Explorer, meanwhile IE will validate the certificate and return an "OK"
result (provided it is OK).

On the other hand, if IE encounters a bad or unknown certificate, then
some sort of error message will come up anyways.  IE will automatically
take care of the issue and lead the user where they need to go.

Would I really be in the wrong if I displayed a lock icon anyways,
considering IE's doing all the work?  Remember, you can view a page's
certificate information in altBrowser by right-clicking it and choosing
"Properties" and then clicking "Certificates" (and the properties show's
the encryption information anyways).

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
www.dreamscapesoftware.com