Quicktime -- >Vista

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 22:04:10 EST 2007

On 27 Feb 2007, at 02:28, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Ian Wood wrote:
>> Apple software isn't *certified* for Vista yet. Which also applies
>> to certain bits of MS software. Compatibility is a totally
>> different matter - iTunes needed a patch, but apart from that I
>> believe it all works OK.
>> With the exception of QT on Vista 64-bit, which is no surprise as
>> QT didn't work properly on XP 64-bit. :-(
>
> It would be good to know for sure, since this issue will affect a
> lot of us, and the article said "not compatible" specifically. Are
> you running Vista yet? Would it be possible for you to check for us?

The article mostly came to people's attention via Slashdot <http://
apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/08/1949229> and plenty of
people have pointed out the differences between certified and
compatible there. It's one of those articles that's widely regarded
as 'let's write something purposefully misleading about Apple to get
lots of hits', rather like John Dvorak's column.

I don't have Vista, but as the majority of my software clients are in
production environments (notoriously conservative about big software
upgrades) it's fortunately not a big issue for me. :-)

QT-specifics - on the various panoramic mailing lists that I belong
to there have only been reports of QT failing to show some content on
Vista 64-bit. Even then it seems to be mostly QTVR files that are
affected rather than video/audio. There have been no reports on those
lists of problems with Vista 32-bit, and the lists together are about
as busy as this one is...

So no personal experience, but plenty of second-hand info.

Ian