A Public Note to Mark Wieder and the Rev list:

Marielle Lange mlange at widged.com
Sat Feb 24 05:48:54 EST 2007

Josh,

I consider your email highly inappropriate.  I believe you are over-
reacting. More importantly, I believe that the only thing you will
achieve is to have more emails having the potential to damage your
business ranked high in Google.

Having had contact with Mark both off and on-list I take him for one
of the most righteous person I know.

I believe your reply caused a lot more damage to your business than
Mark post ever did.

Indeed, you called his comments defamatory, while you have provided
no evidence whatsoever as to the fact that his original email
referred to events he didn't suffer from. This puts him in a lot
better position to attack you for libel than his orginal post ever
did Mark recommended persons to carefully check out the contract
before doing business. This is an excellent recommendation to give,
in *any* context.

Though I perfectly understand how the mention of the name of your
business got you perceive that as a personal attack and something
susceptible to put your business in danger, it's not clearly of a
defamatory nature to me.

Again, I understand that you wrote this out of sense of threat
against your business. However, your email to be over aggressive,
something very much akin an attempt to frighten him in order to
obtain what you want. To try to obtain something  by threat is not an
excellent business practice.

Best would be to accept Richard's invitation to mediate and resolve
this off-list. Try to forget about the damage having been done and
rather think about the way you can use the situation to reinforce
your reputation. Mishaps happen to all of us. All of us end up having
one day our reputation comprised despite doing nothing wrong. The
difference between the successful ones and the unsuccessful ones is
about how we react when this happens. Fear kicks in, yes. But to
listen to fear is not wise.

Marielle