Something that Drives me *CRAZY*

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 20:04:33 EST 2007

Devin Asay wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Bob Warren wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> I've been suffering in silence about this for ages!
>>
>> Has anyone else been driven crazy by the way in which the IDE selects
>> and then moves objects? What I mean is that it's way too easy to move
>> an object just by selecting it. e.g. you select it with a mouse down
>> and accidently move the mouse and then the objects shifts a couple of
>> pixels. I think the mouse should be "de-bounced", e.g. any movement
>> within a short period should be ignored, or better still it shouldn't
>> move the object until it's been selected by a Mouse Down and a Mouse
>> Up, then to move it you Mouse Down, or maybe you should only be able
>> to move it by dragging a certain area.
>>
>> Anyone agree???

>> Perhaps I'm missing something here, but doesn't the "Lock size and
>> position" option in the control's properties solve this problem? Or
>> would it be equally annoying to you to have to set this property for
>> all your controls? If so, I would suggest putting forward the idea of
>> a global property/switch to lock all controls.
>>
>> Bob
>
> For me it's mostly annoying during the time after I've put controls onto
> a card but before I've got them finally positioned. Once they're where I
> want them, I lock their positions and it's not a problem anymore. If
> there is a way "screen out" inadvertent moves associated with mouse
> clicks, I'm all for it.
>
> Devin

If you can train yourself to select objects with a right-click instead
of a left-click, the issue should go away as a right click doesn't drag.
I have to admit I can't manage to retrain myself to do that, as it's not
necessary in most other software. Course if you choose to use a
one-button mouse, then you might not consider that an option anyway.

I have found that today's optical mice can benefit from being slowed
down and having any sensitivity enhancements turned off. If you have
such a mouse set up badly, even tiny movements can get interpreted as a
drag.

Martin Baxter