Click Table (Jim Ault)

John Runde runde at uwplatt.edu
Fri Feb 23 10:47:07 EST 2007

Thanks for your reply, Jim.

I also may not have explained what I need very well.

All i want to do is have a table where i can click on an item
and identify the line & item# that was clicked on, and can drill down
for the user for the details on that item.

For example, a monthly financial report:

Column 1 (item 1) would hav categories (of revenue...say)
Row 1 (line 1) would have the months of the  year, starting with
column 2... 12 months (Jan, Feb....Dec)

(you can see that line 1, item 1 would not be used)

I would then fill that grid with the summary of revenue data for the
monthly report
User wants to see why category "Misc Revenue" was so high in July,
Misc Revenue is line 10, July is column 8 (item 8)
He/she clicks on that number.
click populates cell 1,1 with "10,8"
I then have code that goes puts the category (item 1 of line 10) into
"theCategory"
    and the month (item 8 of line 1) into "theMonth"
code then goes to the source document and finds all the entries for
theCategory that originated in month theMonth
I then pop up a stub stack and populate it with those transactions.

Real simple.  I can't believe it is as hard as it is, unless I am
missing something.
(did it in hypercard all the time by aligning the report and getting
the clickword, then checking for a sign).
But a table field would (if it worked) be much better.

Thanks,
john