[ANN] New picture chooser for Ubuntu

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Feb 22 15:56:15 EST 2007

Colleagues:

You might remember that some time ago I released a pair of file/picture
chooser widgets for Ubuntu Linux. These widgets still work OK, but they
will no longer detect the presence of a floppy diskette drive if your
computer has one. This is because Ubuntu (or possibly Gnome) have been
mucking about with the system of detecting the floppy's presence, and
there are still unsolved problems. Even though floppies are on their way
out, file choosers that ignor the possibility of their existence would
be incomplete to say the least. For that reason, I am developing a new
pair of choosers, and the picture chooser (the most important) is ready.

In addition to restoring the correct functioning of these chooser
widgets, I have decided to make them a bit prettier. This current
version does not include all the bells and whistles that were originally
suggested by you and planned for #2, but at least the drive tree view
now includes images of little folders (closed or open) to replace the
"+" and "--" symbols used previously for the purpose of representing the
nodes.

Here is a picture:

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/downloads/new_picture_chooser.png
<http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/downloads/new_picture_chooser.png>

The colour of the folders can be changed. Here is the available list of
colours:

red (the default)
blue
cherry
cyan
darkblue
darkbrown
darkgreen
darkgrey
grey
lightbrown
lightgreen
mauve
white
yellow

This new standalone picture chooser widget can be used as a substitute
together with the original pack available at
http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/stacks.htm . Just substitute the original
program (_picture_chooser) with the new version. To specify a different
colour, you need to add an additional line to the _picture_chooser.ini file.

The new picture chooser can be downloaded from:

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/downloads/new_picture_chooser.zip
<http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/downloads/new_picture_chooser.zip>

Shortly, I shall be releasing an entirely new demo pack including a new
file chooser as well, together with a revised stack that shows how to
call both standalone widgets.

Of course, for file choosers to be as complete as they are in Windows,
it is necessary to enable the operator to select a file from his local
network directly in addition to his local machine. This was the purpose
of my recent "Samba" thread, but as you must have observed, I didn't
manage to obtain sufficient information to be able to implement it. Who
knows, time solves many problems, so I hope to be able to incorporate
network navigation into my chooser widgets as soon as the opportunity
arises.

Any comments would be most welcome.

Regards,
Bob Warren