MACHINE

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 05:27:21 EST 2007

Hiya,

If you don't strictly need a Transcript solution you can use the
following shell commands:

OS X: system_profiler
For details on usage: man system_profiler

WinXP: systeminfo
For details on usage: systeminfo -?

Win2K: msinfo32.exe
For details on usage: msinfo32.exe -?
Note that this will bring up a GUI, use the details on usage to pass to
a file. Works on WinXP as well.
Might not work on some systems unless you specify the full path
(C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe).

NT4/Win2K/WinXP: winmsd
Also brings up a GUI, but no need to declare the file path. Can't recall
if this worked with Win98.

They have varying levels of output as well as the option to output to a
file (check the usage details for specifics).

Just in case: When on the man page on OS X press 'q' to come out of it,
use the arrow keys/page keys to move up and down the 'page'.

Cheers,

Luis.