Quicktime and which codec is supported

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon Feb 19 23:21:38 EST 2007

Richard,

you are very correct. I got a bit carried away and did not intend to
imply that the process was a killer or big problem. I posted this
more in the spirit of look carefully and also check with your clients
in the matter since their level of comfort may not be the same as
yours. the old posting about what an apple rep said then may not be
the case now. best to check to see where things are now and get the
proper permissions if you need them.

I too have a few products out with the qt installer and am not
worried about them at all. It has always been the client's reaction
(or their lawyers) that have been the problem. I wish i had that
contact at apple in the past since clients have contacted apple about
the issues and got the line the forms are on the website and those
are our standard agreements. I guess they never pushed very far on
the matter, cracked the right door, and/or were small fish.

You are very right in that its not to annoy developers Apple does
this. its all in the hopes of keeping qt as up to date as possible
out there. Very understandable and agreeable. Its hard for them since
they have to balance getting it out as easily as possible with
keeping things up to date and secure as you note.

BTW i usually have advocated for having the installer and tried to
talk clients flinching into it, its more their hang ups than mine. I
actually have one product that i think was under the most restrictive
period in qt licensing and the client was happy to agree to it. so my
experience has been all over the map.

My point is just read it carefully and make sure you can abide by the
agreement w/in your project parameters and your client is cool with
it to. also to see where the agreement is when you do the project
since it has changed quite a bit over the years. theres a bit more to
it than just put a logo on the label.

cheers,

Jeff Reynolds

On Feb 19, 2007, at 10:38 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com