OT: Quicktime and which codec ist best supported?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Sun Feb 18 06:37:15 EST 2007

Hello all,

I am new to Revolution and Quicktime-Video. I have read the archives, but
still unsure about the right way for video. I produce offline content,
distributed on CD / DVD-ROM

1. With Revolution build-in player I can only play .mov - right?

2. As mov is only a container format I know that I can use different codecs
with mov. Best results when testing produced the Sorenson 3 codec. I tested
also with SorensonTM ( little less), Apple MPEG 4 (almost as good), Apple
Cinepac (bad quality) and Apple Planar (best quality but incredible giant
file size).

My question is, which codec comes with Quicktime installer, or what codec
can I assume on customer machine?

4. Are there differences of quicktime installation between Apple and
Windows, beside quicktime on apple is preinstalled?

5. If e.g. the Sorenson codec doesn't come with Quicktime, can I install the
Sorenson codec additional to quicktime on customer machine and quicktime
will grab it, if I encoded my mov with Sorenson?

6. I encoded movs on one of my machines and playing on the other machine
showed only "LSD-like colored blur", though on both machines quicktime 7.1.3
(Windows) is installed. So there are obvious more factors, as quicktime
version and codec to harmonize - what?

7. Which codec is the best approach with best quality and best compatibility
when using mov?

8. As I have read on Apples quicktime site, I need an agreement from Apple
to distribute the player with my application and have to put their logo on
my product. Do you have any experiences with that procedure and restriction?

9. Did anyone tried to play avi or swf in revolution. I am not yet so far to
use a shell execute, but I could think that could be an approach. But I
don't know, if you have the chance to use controls / methods with a called
exe, so that I can control an external player from within revolution (stop,
pause,play,step, get mediastatus,.)

Lots of questions, I hope not too much

Thanks for any experience sharing

Tiemo