An effective way to Localize my Revolution Projects for Multiple Languages

Joel Guillod joel.guillod at net2000.ch
Sat Feb 17 16:59:06 EST 2007

> - Property profiles are nice, but it means that I have to store all
> of the language data for each object within a profile, making it
> harder to make changes to the text.

Many replies but none commenting about profiles.

As the gandfather of Richard used to say, "When a designer is faced
with two equally compelling options, find a way to do both." So you
could also make a tool which assists in building different language
profiles from a central text translations repository. The steps in
development would be: (1) extracts the relevant text from button
label, fields, etc. and store them in the repository; (2) translate
the texts in the needed languages; (3) before building your
standalone the tool will navigate through all the objects of your
stacks to automatically update the appropriate controls properties
(button label, text of shared field...); (4) optionally when building
a standalone you can choose to discard some profiles; (5) in your
standalone some language script library will just have to set the
revProfile or call the revSetStackFileProfile / revSetCardProfile /
revSetStackProfile commands when user change the language preference.

I didn't remember of much use of the Profiles apart the RunRev
tutorial on Profiles (precisely illustrated by languages
customisation) and I would be interesting to have developers
explanations on their use of profiles, not only for languages but for
platform specifics (Windows, Linux, OSX), or any other ideas...

Thanks!

Joel

OT follows, just for fun!

> As for the dialogs I simply change the LABEL of the buttons in the
> dialogs so "Cancel"
> stays "cancel" "OK" stays "OK" etc... in every language.

;o) NO! "cancel" does not stays "cancel" in every language:
"annuler", "abbrechen", ... ! OKay?

;o( Does anyone know what ok is the abbreviation of? I heard an
explanation that in the old time an american sherif which
motherlanguage was french wrote "OK" on official documents. When
someone asked him what this means he replied: "oll korrect"...