An effective way to Localize my Revolution Projects for Multiple Languages

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Feb 17 10:58:23 EST 2007

Hi Derek,

>I should ask this question of the list, just to see if anyone has
>found an effective way of working with Localized (multiple-language) projects.

Most of the common approaches have been described by others; so I
would only add:

* Saving all program text and prompts in a different text file for
each language means only the text pertinent to the currently-selected
language is loaded in RAM

* Storing language text & prompts in a text file in line-per-line
format means your application can support _any_ language for which a
text file can be created, not just the languages you build in pre release.

* If text is stored in a line-per-line format, it is a simple task to
display each line in turn to a translator, who then types the same
line in the new language in a field below it.  Once all lines are
translated, the application can immediately change languages by

* Any translation scheme must also deal with formatting numbers,
dates, and currency amounts differently based on system preferences
(actually, IMO even a single-language program should present dates,
numbers, and amounts formatted as specified by the user to the OS).

* I strongly advocate the use of icons (supplemented with tool tips,
if you will) instead of label text to avoid spacing issues.  This is
especially useful for labels above columnar tables: the text may be x
characters long in one language and, say, 5*x characters in another
language; but the column heading width remains constant without lots
of empty space in one instance or incomprehensible abbreviation or
truncation in the other.

Normally, I would refer you to the Serendipity Library/SDB download
for working examples of all these points; however the old download
went down with Andre Garzia's old web site, and it is not my
intention to update it until the revisions I am working on are
further tested and bundled for distribution.  If you'd like to
explore this further, contact me off-list.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company