An effective way to Localize my Revolution Projects for Multiple Languages

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Feb 16 13:39:05 EST 2007

Hi Derek,

> Now before I start down my typical path of re-inventing the wheel,
> I felt I should ask this question of the list, just to see if
> anyone has found an effective way of working with Localized
> (multiple-language) projects.
>
> I have never done any work with creating localized projects.  I
> know that I will end up mutilating the native languages via the
> Google Translator, but I figure that a 90% translated program is
> better than a program that isn't used because it's not in a
> person's main language.
>
> - Property profiles are nice, but it means that I have to store all
> of the language data for each object within a profile, making it
> harder to make changes to the text.
>
> - Placing all text in a file, and then just translating the file to
> multiple languages when building the standalone would be preferred,
> but that would require some massive scripting to populate button
> and field labels, etc.
>
> - Also, I have to roll my own dialogs that don't return the name of
> what button was pushed, but instead a number, as the number doesn't
> need to be translated. (Ex:  0=Cancel,1=OK)
>
> Any ideas? ... Please!

Custom property sets!!! :-)

Depending on the size of the project I use either the stacks cp set
every cards cp sets
or even every (relevant) objects cp set.

And writing a little tool for managing/editing/writing back all these
cp sets is a snap with Rev :-)

As for the dialogs I simply change the LABEL of the buttons in the
dialogs so "Cancel"
stays "cancel" "OK" stays "OK" etc... in every language.

Hope that helps.

> Derek Bump
> Dreamscape Software
> http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/