OT: MACDRAFT story/endorsement

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at Cox.Net
Thu Feb 15 16:00:48 EST 2007

Hi Stephen,

Your experience with CADs in the late 80s was mainly why I had
originally chosen the Mac as my computer of choice. Also one of the
reasons that I have such bad feelings toward M$. It was at this point
in time that Gates was pilfering stuff from Apple to create his soon
to be "Windows" applications. Apple let him in on all their secrets
and he probably stole some of their programmers as well. Anyway, had
Gates taken the knowledge he gained and developed a CAD program to go
along with Word and Excel, AutoCAD would have never gotten a strangle-
hold, such as it did, on the entire industry when it moved up to
Windows from DOS. It has taken years for the likes of ArchiCAD to
make a dent in the AC market. Eventually, I hope, AC will die a
painful death when the other programs finally show how terrible, ugly
and expensive it really is. I haven't used all of them, but I've
briefly viewed a few. As you said, MacDraft can do everything that
99% of the users need done. 3D is its one failing, though I think
they may even have their foot in that door soon.

One of the major advantages that the Mac has had over PCs, from day
one, is the ability of the users to get their various applications to
work together. If one won't do it, then try some combination. To a
certain extent, I've even been able to accomplish this using Virtual
PC, though it is off my list now that M$ has acquired it. They try to
get a piece of you - going or coming!

All IMHO,

Joe Wilkins