A hard challenge anyone?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 15 10:41:18 EST 2007

David Bovill wrote:
> Just a note - but so far I the diagramming of the code is proving a lot more
> useful than I thought. Just one glance picks up all sorts of things -
> handlers which are not linked to any events - probably hanging around from
> some earlier incarnation - handlers which are bottle necks - which handlers
> work best in backscripts of libraries - and a general impression of things
> that are had to quantify like "is it too complex"? Most of all the pictures
> are pretty :)

It'd be great to see those.

And yes, these types of automated code base analysis tools can be very
helpful. I made one last year that does two forms of cyclomatic
complexity, fan-in, fan-out, and a few others.  I never got around to
diagramming because it seemed too much work relative to the additional
benefit, but in principle I agree it would be helpful to have.  Got a
screenshot handy?

Better yet, will this be an open source tool?  Perhaps there's a way it
could be modularized to incorporate other measurements so I could donate
mine to the mix.

I've been pondering whether to also leverage MetaCard's profiler into
such a tool, but it's a bit of work and as cool as it would be I'm not
sure my clients would let me take the time away to do it. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin Managing Editor, revJournal