Revolution and ffmpeg - looking for help on project

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Wed Feb 14 22:05:39 EST 2007

I am looking for help on a project (codenamed "Cap'n Crunch"), please
contact me offlist if you are interested.

I am including an overview of the project here because I feel the
details might interest any Rev programmer dealing with the processing
of images, video or audio. (And if you don't now, YOU WILL :-)

Once I get this job done I would be happy to offer the solution to any
other Rev programmer that desires it but I would like to fund this
development because I need to get it done soon.

Cap'n Crunch PROJECT BACKGROUND:

There is a high quality, fast library of audio/video processing
routines called "ffmpeg", built around libavcodec, an open source
codec library:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

There are over 100 programs that are GUI front ends to ffmpeg and
include ffmpeg as their audio/video processing engine:

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/projects.html

Cap'n Crunch PROJECT SPEC:

must work on OSX/WinXP/Vista

What Cap'n Crunch needs to do is:

1. "Answer file" to get the path and filename of a quicktime movie

2. Issue a set of shell commands to ffmpeg (there are many examples of
these commands, I can come up with these) to encode the movie to a
separate file

3. Here's the hard part? Somehow, get a progress callback (shell
status?)
  from ffmpeg (to drive a progress bar, and once it is finished with
the first
encode, move on to the next)

I know ffmpeg provides for progress callback, as pretty much every
front end
has a progress bar (and estimated time remaining) so it is possible
:-)

4. Help me package ffmpeg as an external and set the external
properties of the stack so that my standalone works

Anyone who would like to tackle this, please contact me offlist, I am
posting because I feel there is a lurker out there who has done
something similar and why reinvent the wheel?

(If anyone wants to start a general interesting discussion about using
ffmpeg with Revolution, have at you :-)