calendar function anyone ?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 17:08:17 EST 2007

When you are working with dates only, the dateItems will usually show
the hour as 2 am, but sometimes as 1 am depending on daylight savings.
To avoid any potential cross-overs, when working with dates alone, I
tend to supply a default time of midday. The convert command will not
mess this up by supplying it's own default and since it is in the
middle of the day, I know the date will be correct.

Re-writing my suggested function allowing for this:

function weekDay pDate
  put pDate && "12:00 pm" into tDate
  convert tDate to dateItems
  put the last item of tDate into tDayNum
  put line tDayNum of the system weekdayNames into tDayName
  return tDayName
end weekDay

I think you will find this completely reliable.

As an aside on the convert command: I have issues with the way convert
automatically applies the current time zone when converting seconds so
that a specific number of seconds refers to a moment in time and not
to a set date & time. This makes the seconds useless to me as a data
storage & transfer device since the conversions will vary from machine
to machine depending on time zones etc. I now store all time stamps in
a 14 digit number YYYYMMDDHHMMSS. However once I have this data, date
& time calculations can be done locally with the convert command only
being used to produce temporary variables, not long-term data storage.

Cheers,
Sarah