Strange crashing

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Tue Feb 13 12:25:54 EST 2007

Perhaps someone has some insight into this odd behavior.

Our Rev (Windows) program uses two standalone applications. I'll call
the first one the Startup app. This app is supposed to keep running
continuously. The user can press on a button in that app that
triggers the start of a second standalone app, which I'll call the
Main app. When the Main app is started, the Startup app is hidden.
Upon starting the Main app, a flag is set to 1 by the Startup app
telling it to hide. When the Main app quits, it sets this flag to 0.
The Startup app is checking once per second to see the condition of
this flag. Once it goes to 0, the Startup app reappears.

The primary reason this system is set up this way is because the Main
app is rather complex (capturing and replaying video, amongst other
things) and needs to run more or less continuously for up to 12 hours
per day. By completely closing this Main app and restarting it for
each user "session" as we call it, it seems to run more predictably
throughout the day.

The problem we're encountering is that, approximately half the time
that this Main app shuts down, something in Windows forces the
Startup app to shut down and create a Windows "application crash"
message. I can't see how this occurs, as there is no connection
between these two standalones, other than the flag being set in a
separate text file. Plus, as I said, it only happens about 50% of the
time.

Any thoughts on this? Is there some way that shutting the Rev engine
down in one standalone can impact the Rev engine in another
standalone running at the same time? Again, this is Windows XP. I'm
sure we wouldn't encounter the same problem on a Mac!

Thanks.
Richard Miller
Imprinter Technologies