Big/Little Endian and Externals - Was how to Display/Print a Hex Number???

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Tue Feb 13 11:03:59 EST 2007

Dave, is this value a product of the binaryDecode function? If so,
it's usually just a question of chosing the right parameter for the
platform/processor.

Rather than <if "Intel" is in the processor> or somesuch, (might it
me "AMD"...), I use this function to determine the endianness of the
system an app is running on:

function bigEndian
   put binaryEncode("I",1) into tBinNum -- this creates a 4 byte uint
in host byte order
   repeat for each char i in tBinNum
     put charToNum(i) & space after tList
   end repeat
   return char 1 of tList = 0
end bigEndian

if it returns true then we're big-endian, otherwise little-endian.

Without testing, I think you could use the binaryEncode("h*"....
(lower case "h") for little-endian processors.

so:

put empty into tHexStatus
if bigEndian() then
   get binaryDecode("H*", myStatus, tHexStatus)
else
   get binaryDecode("h*, myStatus, tHexStatus)
end if

Best,

Mark