Copying Objects between different version of RunRev

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 9 14:16:52 EST 2007

Dave wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2007, at 16:45, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> It's not the stackfileformat. It's that Rev doesn't put copies of
>> its own internal objects into the system clipboard. Since Rev
>> objects are not usable by any other application, it doesn't even
>> try to share them.
>> --
>
> Well that's a bit silly, isn't it?!?! So, if I copy an object onto
> the clipboard, delete from my stack, save the stack then open a new
> stack to paste it in and RunRev crashes I lose my object!

Yes, of course the crash is undesirable.
Have you logged it?

> There really is no reason for RunRev not to place it's own objects
> onto the external clipboard since Apps that don't understand the
> objects simply won't see them. This is especially true since the
> unstable nature of 2.7.x means that you have to revert to 2.6.6
> quite a lot and sometimes this is the only way to rescue a stack!
> Also if they published the format of the objects on the Clipboard
> 3rd party Apps could make use of them, thus promoting RunRev.

There may be some benefit to doing a subset of a control, like SuperCard
does:  When you copy a control in SC, an image of the control is placed
on the external clipboard. This can be handy if you're using Rev to
build a custom drawing environment.

But I believe that specialized behavior can be scripted w/v2.7, and it
wouldn't do much for your circumstance.

How many apps could possibly make use of Rev controls?
And how many other RAD tools even bother?

If I read your post correctly you're only interested in that as a
workaround to get past a bug.  Saving regularly will also help with
that, far more than a subset of an object record on the clipboard would.

So yes, of course any crashing error should be addressed, and your
posting a recipe for reproducing it to RunRev's bug database will help
ensure that it gets fixed.

But I'm not sure putting controls on the external clipboard is the best
solution, and personally I've a loooooooong list of things I'd rather
see done first.

--
  Richard Gaskin Managing Editor, revJournal