Externals Under 2.7.x
lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Feb 9 11:05:01 EST 2007
On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:24 AM, Dave wrote:
> I am trying to make an External work under 18.104.22.1681. I downloaded
> and used the "External Creator V1.rev" from the
> "ExternalsEnvironmentV2" article. At the moment I just have one
> simple function that just passes back a value to the calling stack.
> However I get an execution error when I run the Script. I've check
> that "the externals" is set correctly and the XCode project builds
> ok and I get an X86-32 bundle file ok.
One thing to keep in mind with externals is that the externals
property of a stack only tells Revolution where to find the external,
it doesn't signify that the external has properly loaded. To know if
an external has loaded check the externalPackages property of the
stack. If the external has successfully loaded then the string you
defined in EXTERNAL_BEGIN_DECLARATIONS will appear as one of the
lines in the property.
> I am using a Mac Pro and Runner Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8. I only need
> to produce an external for Intel based Macs at the moment.
> Does anyone know if there's some kind of magic I have to perform to
> make this work?
Are you trying to test using debugging in XCode? If so, make you
sure you build a release version first, then the debug version. For
some reason if you don't build the release version first, the
environmental variables aren't set correctly when the XCode debugger
launches Revolution and your sample external stack will not load.
> If anyone has a sample Intel/Mac External they have build that I
> could test to see if it works that would be great. Or if someone
> could send me a sample XCode project that would be good too!
> A couple of specific questions:
> 1. Does the name in the EXTERNAL_BEGIN_DECLARATIONS need to be all
> 2. Does the name in the EXTERNAL_DECLARE_FUNCTION need to be all
> I have appended the C Code from the XCode project at the end of
> this message.
One other thing to keep in mind: In your code you are setting
*theErrorFlagPtr to True if an error occurs. This will produce an
error dialog in Revolution but I'm not sure if you can see the error
string that you put in *theResultPtrPtr anywhere which is
unfortunate. So another possibility is that your function is
returning an error and that is the dialog that Rev is displaying.
Until I find out how to display the actual error string if
theErrorFlagPtr == True I've resorted to always setting it to false
and handling the errors in Revolution itself.
Hope this helps,
Blue Mango Learning Systems - www.bluemangolearning.com
trevor at bluemangolearning.com
More information about the Use-livecode