Memory Problem?

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Tue Feb 6 18:53:45 EST 2007

Hello Peter,

I think that 10MB is quit a big chunk of data. Have you tried smaller
chunks as well? My experience is that smaller chunks give a smoother
impression, while they don't slow down copying much.

I added a wait command to your code (see below).

To get and set the modification dates on Mac OS X, use AppleScript.
To get the modification date (mind line wraps):

tell application "Finder" to set x to the modification date of file
"System:Users:John:desktop:Untitled.html"

To set the modification date:

tell application "Finder" to set the modification date of file
"System:Users:John:desktop:Untitled.html copy" to date "31-10-2007"

I believe that the date format needs to be the same as the system
date if you want to write a date in abbreviated form.

AppleScript used by Revolution to copy modification dates:

on copyDate theSourceFile,theDestinationFile
   if char 1 of theSourceFile is "~" then delete char 1 of theSourceFIle
   if char 1 of theDestinationFile is "~" then delete char 1 of
theDestinationFile
   put "tell application 'Finder'" & cr & ¬
   "set myDate to the modification date of POSIX file '/users/" &
$USER & theSourceFile & "'" & cr & ¬
   "set the modification date of POSIX file '/users/" & $USER &
theDestinationFile & "' to myDate" & cr & ¬
   "end tell" into myScript
   replace "'" with quote in myScript
   do myScript as AppleScript
   return the result
end copyDate

usage of the copyDate command:

copyDate "~/desktop/Untitled.html","~/desktop/Untitled.html copy"
put the result

Note that the file paths need to be absolute file paths.

Unfortunately, I expect that using AppleScript to set modification
dates may bring you back to the original problem, which was caused by
AppleScript locking up Revolution. A better alternative might be to
use a shell command, but I haven't looked into that yet. There is a
command line utility (GetFileInfo) included in Apple's developer CD,
which may be able to do the job.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

Download at http://www.salery.biz

Op 6-feb-2007, om 23:24 heeft Peter Reid het volgende geschreven:

> I've now managed to use buffered file copying for the problem I
> mentioned previously.  Here is my file copying handler:
>
> on copyAfile  sourceFile, destFolder, fCreatorType
>   constant cBffrSize = 10485760 -- copy in 10Mbyte chunks
>   set itemDelimiter to "/"
>   put destFolder & last item of sourceFile into destFile
>
>   -- set the Mac OS filetype & create destination file:
>   set the fileType to fCreatorType
>   open file destFile for binary write
>   -- open source file:
>   open file sourceFile for binary read
>
>   -- copy the file data:
>   put empty into dataBffr
>   put false into gotEOF
>   repeat until gotEOF
>     read from file sourceFile for cBffrSize chars
>     put the result is "eof" into gotEOF
>     put it into dataBffr
>     if dataBffr is not empty then
>       write dataBffr to file destFile
>     end if
wait 0 millisecs with messages -- increase number for more control
over GUI