OT: Quicktime Streaming Server on LInux

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Feb 2 02:01:34 EST 2007

Recently, Sivakatirswami wrote:

>>> I'm talking here about some serious data:
>>> 100 plus megabyte movies at 320 X 240
>>
>> Perhaps you could try breaking down your media into smaller chunks. 100MB
>> seems relatively large for most non-corporate users.
>
> We've done that in the past with audio
>
> Part 1
> Part 2 etc.
>
> Our  kind of content of  those lengths could be easily
> "chapterized"  in ways that will not seem too fragmented
> to the users.
>
> What would you suggest is a good max target size to use
> for a single movie?

I could go out on a limb and guess maybe 20 to 30MB, but I really can't say.
There are a lot variables to answer this: most common connection speed of
your audience, sophistication of your audience's systems, and perhaps one
large item is the organization of your media.  Maybe it lends itself to
getting split into 70 parts.  On the other hand, maybe you guys don't want
to manage 70 movie clips.

As you allude to above, you could look at splitting your content into
"reasonable" segments, along lines of chapters/topics/concepts/whatever
makes sense.  Maybe "large" chapters get split into 2 parts, with an
auto-download occurring after playback of part 1 has completed.  The bottom
line is, you want to address the 100MB playback issue -- segmenting your
content might be a solution.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director