RevSpeak - a little less robotic?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 15:55:14 EST 2007

On 2/1/07 11:51 AM, "Gregory Lypny" <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca> wrote:
> I started to tinker with the RevSpeak to create a little novelty
> stack to help me practice hitting the right notes on the first three
> strings of the guitar.  (It's a drill to improvise in any position on
> the neck).
>
> I created a handler that will say different notes at random, for
> example, "Two high C" means play high C on the second string.  I
> substitued "eh" for "A" so that it's pronounced as long "A".
> Looping this would then create the exercise (which could probably be
> tolerated for no more than three minutes).
>
> I was wondering if there's a way to make the voice sound a little
> more human.  I'm doing this on an iBook G4.

Probably would be more flexible to use Applescript and the OSX Text To
Speech, where you have a whole list of voices.  See System prefs:Speech

on test --copy this into a Rev script to listen
  put quote into q
  put " say "&q&" It's time to wake up, it's time to wake up!"&q&  \
       " using "&q&"cellos"&q into cmd
  do cmd as applescript
end test

Now you could make your notes lines in a field
 say "It's time to wake up" using "cellos"
 say "It's time to play music" using "ralph"

As a test------
paste this into an Applescript Script Editor window and click 'Run'

say "Good morning Al." using "Whisper"
delay 2
say "Al, it's time to rise and shine." using "Fred"
delay 1
say "The current time is" using "Vicky"
say (time string of (current date)) using "Vicky"
delay 2
say "Wake up sleepy head" using "Trinoids"
delay 2
say "You asked us to wake you up at this time." using "Victoria"
delay 2
say "It's time to wake up, it's time to wake up!" using "cellos"

Just google " applescript text to speech" to get many more ideas and
refinements.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas