user groups : educators

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Thu Feb 1 13:42:08 EST 2007

Stephen Barncard wrote:
> I get all tense and impatient during chat, waiting for people to
> type, and wishing I hadn't joined the chat. One can't really do
> anything else during a chat session.

True... unless you are using a 3D virtual world
(http://www.secondlife.com/)as your chat interface. When you are waiting
for someone to type, you could be preparing to drop an image or video onto
a 3D object to aid in your text discussion. I like using the optional text
bubbles that appear above the avatar. It's much easier to follow who is
speaking than pages of chat text.

> A whiteboard or video image during chat adds a lot of value to a chat
> session. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Recently, several large companies like BMW, Dell, and IBM have been
creating cybershops inside this virtial world. I see this becoming the
next phase in the evolution of the internet. It would be quite easy to
chat/whiteboard in this environment. I read an article where IBM employees
were having a conference in SL, and presentations were being streamed onto
a virtual big screen while the participants sat at virtual tables. The
detail was quite realistic. I can't find the pics, but here is a little
more info...

http://secondlife.reuters.com/stories/2006/10/24/ibm-eyes-move-into-second-life-v-business/
http://www.conversationblog.com/journal/2006/9/12/ibm-holds-alumni-meeting-on-secondlife.html
http://slbusinesscommunicators.pbwiki.com/Companies+in+Second+Life?raw=1

BTW, SecondLife works on Windows, OS X, and Linux (linux client is beta).

Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>