ANN: Hinduism Today Digital Edition Upgrade

Jim Carwardine jim at oyfconsulting.com
Fri Dec 21 14:56:51 EST 2007

Hi Sivakatirswami ... Just to confirm, when I go to your web site, is that
all done in Rev as well?... Jim

on 12/21/07 3:46 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> Thanks to the hard work of Andre Garzia we are able to present an
> upgrade to the Hinduism Today Digital Edition. Go here to subscribe.
>
> http://www.hinduismtoday.com/digital/
>
> If you have already subscribed, just boot up and you will be prompted to
> upgrade.
>
> Those of you familiar with this app know that it is a simple, client
> side, PDF content manager. But, with the latest upgrade, Andre has built
> a pretty nifty media content viewer.   All I did was work with the
> presentation layer... he did the rest.
>
> Though Andre likes to tell me he feels like a child when he looks at the
> code of the Rev Giants like Ken Ray and Richard Gaskin and all the
> "Elder Wizards of xTalk" I think he did a really good job on this.
>
> Download and install, and then click on the button "View Multimedia"
>
> Thanks to Ken Ray for his xml lib, to Chipp and Chris at Altuit for
> RevBrowser and altSplash and Revolution team in Scotland and to this
> whole community for being such a great support group.
>
> Frankly I was a bit worried that to overcome the problems with the Rev
> Player object playing remote URLs that switching to Revbrowser was going
> to add more complexity to the whole framework and not necessarily get us
> anything but more problems: I was wrong!
>
> We are getting reports now from people in Adelaide Australia and Mumbai
> in India where they are able to stream media in our media viewer from
> the web server in San Franscisco (and we are not using QT streaming...
> just Fast Start Headers)  through the Rev browser window on the craziest
> of connections (wireless in Adelaide coming in on DSL to the house and
> then from a wireless transpoder to the laptop anywhere in the house) and
> also on a cellular modem in Mumbai.
>
> Of course I'm sure that the  UI could use a lot of improvement, I'm not
> a professional...but the bottom line on the technology is: Revolution +
> libURL + Rev Browser  + Rev CGI talking to PostGreSql on a linux
> Webserver  is a rock solid framework. I am sooooo happy!
>
> Lord Ganesha could not have given me a better Winter Solstice Holiday
> gift than what Andre has delivered.
>
> Please feel free to send any thoughts you have for improvements etc to
> both of us, all constructive insights welcome!
>
> Happy Solstice at this auspicious time when Sun moves from Dakshinayne
> to Uttarayane (goes north) today...
>
> Cheers from Kauai
>
> Sivakatirswami
> www.himalayanacademy.com

Jim Carwardine,
President & CEO
OYF Consulting
Ph. 902.823.2339 / 866.601.2339
Fx. 902.823-2139
<www.StrategicDoing.com>

StrategicDoing: Execution depends on employees.
Strategic Partner with HiringSmart Canada Ltd.