Images Miscolored

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Fri Dec 14 08:01:15 EST 2007

Here's a function that should strip the gamma-correction out of a
file. I can't see any before and after difference in the files I've
tried it on, but maybe it could help. Also, be sure to try it on
copies of your prcious files, as it over-writes the file it works on...

on stripGC pFile
     --check for the 'magic bytes' to make sure it's a .png
     repeat for each item i in "137,80,78,71,13,10,26,10"
         put numtochar(i) after magicStr
     end repeat
     put url ("binfile:" & pFile) into pngData
     if char 1 to 8 of pngData is not magicStr then exit stripGC

     -- find the gamma correction chunk
     set the casesensitive to true
     put offset("gAMA", pngData) - 4 into chunkStart
     if chunkStart = 0 then exit stripGC -- stop if it isn't there

     put empty into chunkDataLength
     get binarydecode("M",char chunkStart to chunkStart + 3 of
pngData, chunkDataLength)
     delete char chunkStart to (chunkStart + chunkDataLength + 11)
of pngData

     put pngData into url ("binfile:" & pFile)
end stripGC

best,

Mark