OS X cgi error

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 02:27:48 EST 2007

On 12/5/07 7:53 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> Richard Miller wrote:
>> I'm sure there's an answer somewhere in the archives, but I can't find it.
>>
>> Trying to run Rev cgi on an Intel Mac, 10.4.10. Using the sample
>> "hello.cgi" script. Downloaded the Darwin engine, as per the
>> instructions at the Rev web site. All permissions are set to 755.
>>
>> Error log says:
>>
>> revolution: Can't load stack or script  license.rev
>> Premature end of script headers:
>> /Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/hello.cgi
>>
>> What's the solution?
>
> Permissions?

You need to check the owner/group (Get Info) to see if the 'user' is your
login and the apache 'www' is only the group (or not even that, which means
'everyone')

Step 1 is to see what group
Step 2 is either change the group to 'www' and the permissions to 775
or permissions 777
or owner to 'www'
or add the apache 'www' to the existing group...

Bottom line is that apache as 'www' needs to have execute permission of '7'

If you are using Path Finder (alternative Finder app) this is very easy
without requiring Terminal or command line.

Hope this helps

Jim Ault
Las Vegas