Diacritical Marks, Cyrillic Encodings, and related "poo"

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Dec 5 10:45:57 EST 2007

Codepages (respectively character encodings) have no connection with
how the characters are entered into the Computer. that is the job of
the keyboard layout.

Codepages are how the Characters are encoded in binary. Again this has
not much to do with how they will sort, or what is the big char of the
little one. This association is made with a sort table. Often
codepages and sort tables defined in the same rules (not always
though, eg. mySQL allows you to define them separately).
Unfortunately, rev's sort table is broken since 1.1.1 (tested on Mac
OS X 10.5 ppc).

have fun
Björnke

--