copy large files in Rev on Mac

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Dec 5 08:00:06 EST 2007

Hi Ian,

> On 5 Dec 2007, at 12:18, Klaus Major wrote:
>
>> revCopyFile uses Applescrip which is blocking! At least in Rev,
>> but NOT when
>> using the same script with the AppleScriptEditor!? :-/
>> Using "shell" is also blocking!
>
> This has come up a few times on the list, and basically revolves
> around using a shell command that sends it's output to a text file
> instead of back to Rev.
>
> Rev carries on because as far as it's concerned the shell command
> has finished, then you can do some kind of loop checking the output
> text file, without blocking.
>
> On 14 Aug 2006, at 09:48, Brian Yennie wrote:
>
>> You might try something like:
>>
>> get shell("mylongcommand > output.txt &")

That really sounded good, but did not work in the end :-/

My original blocking script:
get shell("ditto" && sourcefile && targetfile)

Now with this extra param the file "targetfile" will be the extra param,
which is extremely mentally challenging :-D
# For the "output" file:
put the tempname into tname
get shell("ditto" && sourcefile && targetfile && tname && "&")

Does work non-blocking, but contents of tname = targetfile

Then I tried this clever trick ;-):
get shell("ditto" && sourcefile && targetfile && targetfile && "&")
which is blocking again...?

Obviously this trick does not work for copy/ditto actions, or am I
overlooking something here?

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de