Any suggestions on how to "onion skinning"?

BNig niggemann at uni-wh.de
Mon Dec 3 16:41:17 EST 2007

the timing on a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz for the scripts is

on average 190 Milliseconds for the whole thing, i.e. passing the original
file to Colorsyncscripting, creating the grayscale file on disk and reading
the file into Revolution and display the image.

if you change the applescript so that you keep Colorsyncscripting open
instead of closing it as the current script does then the whole thing takes
about 90 Milliseconds. This of course if you intend to do multiple
conversions. Right now ColorSyncScripting is closed after five seconds, if
you set the filename of the image and start the conversion within this time
you get the 90 milliseconds as it is.

It also helps to put into a startup script that starts ColorSyncScripting
during startUp, somehow it "initialises" applescript and revolution and
ColorSyncScripting is ready when you do the first conversion.

a script like this would do:
------------
on openStack
put "tell application " & quote & "ColorSyncScripting" & quote & " to
launch" into forASVar
do forASVar as applescript
if the result is not empty then answer the result
end openStack
---------------

the timing for the two variants strictly within Revolution to do the same as
the applescript variant:

Ron Woods: 1080 milliseconds
Mark Smith 660 milliseconds ( the binarydecode variant)

having set the paintcompression to "RLE" on startup these values change to:
Ron Woods: 800 milliseconds
Mark Smith 400 milliseconds ( the binarydecode variant)

just setting the imagedata with the "RLE" startUp
22 milliseconds !! brilliant

all measurements made with the same picture 640 by 480 pixels

thank you for pointing me to the RLE and PNG problem, I was not aware of
this. I use set imagedata in correcting movies for shifts, this involves 900
to 1200 images/movie of 768 by 576 pixels, and the 400 milliseconds it takes
for each image on an iMac 2 GHz definitely add up. the actual taking apart
of the image and putting it back together again in Revolution is quite fast
(about 60 milliseconds). So I will try to set the paintcompression on
openstack.

BTW I very much like your stacks on imagemanipulation in Revolution, it is
amazing what you do with them

Thank you.

Bernd