Output keyboard input to Text Notes

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Aug 30 15:29:02 EDT 2007

I think I asked this a few years back, and will try again:

I would like to be able to input a single melodic line and
  have this output to the hold Hypercard musical notation format.
I think Supercard also had this option.

I don't recall all the exact method in which tempo was represented by
you could have a string like this:

c c+ d c+ d e e f g c+

etc and you get a melodic line...

What I would like would be to use the mac keyboard
for keying in some melodic lines and then have this output to text notes.
most music apps allow you to turn the keyboard into a "piano" key board
and you can do music typing by typing "C" you will get C1 (middle C)
hold shift key
you get C2 (one octave above) etc. and this can be recorded and played back.
but I want to get from the sound out to text string representation.

Goal is to convert these to Indian svaras as a way to document certain
tune in Indian notation form where ragas and songs are single melodic lines.

eg.
c d d e f e f g e a b c2 (Major Scale, ascending patter)

is just:

s r r g m g m p g d n  c1 (Sankarabharanam ragam)

theoretically one should be able to "trap" for the pitch as a cycles per
second and
translate that to the note: e.g. 440 is A below middle C...

Now, I know I could get some super music program like Finale, but that's
way overkill
One doesn't need a multi-stave, orchestral capable engine to do a single
melodic line and in the
end I get western notation anyway, and not the text representation I need.

The super cool app would actually be able to "listen" to a vocal
recording and then output
the text representation.

Any ideas?

Sivakatirswami